skip to Main Content

Medical Services

Puyssentut is not a medical establishment and we do not have medical personnel on site. We are, however, well known to local doctors and nurses in the surrounding towns and villages and the oncology departments in nearby hospitals, who will be willing to assist you if you need medical help.

If you require a simple medical intervention such as having a dressing changed or a blood test, we can arrange for a registered nurse to come to Puyssentut to perform this for you (you should bring with you your European Health Insurance Card or Europese ziekteverzekeringkaart).

Should you come down with an illness or have an injury that is not serious, the first step is to call out a local GP who will either be able to treat you on site or will refer you to the appropriate service.

  • The nearest doctor is a 15 minute drive away.
  • The nearest hospital is in Auch which is a 40 minute drive.

In the case of an emergency the fire brigade will be called. The fire brigade provides front line first aid cover and the first aiders are highly trained and carry emergency equipment. If they are not able to deal with the emergency on site they will transport you to the nearest suitable medical facility.

In Toulouse (1 hour drive), Oncopole, a specialist cancer hospital, is one of the top hospitals in France for cancer care and is renowned for its cancer research institute. In the case of sudden illness, should you need to use these services, you will be referred to them by a local doctor.


If you are on regular medication you should ensure that you either bring sufficient with you for the duration of your stay away from home or bring a prescription with you, which you will be able to fulfill at one of the nearby chemists (please ensure you bring with you your European Health Insurance Card).

Health Insurance

UK Residents

If you are a UK resident it used to be that you could apply for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) which would give you free access to the French health care system but you will need to check with the appropriate authority if there is still a reciprocal health arrangement with the EC.

If you have private health insurance please check whether this will cover you in France, and ensure that you bring all necessary documentation with you.

Dutch Residents

If you are a resident in the Netherlands your medical insurance will already cover you to use French health services in the case of an emergency or the need for ongoing treatment. You will, however, need to check that your insurance card includes the Europese ziekteverzekeringkaart (EZK). In some cases this will be on your card. Otherwise you will need to apply for an additional EZK card from your medical insurance provider. You will need to bring this/these card(s) with you when you travel.

You can check whether the EZK is already included on your insurance card or whether you will need to apply for this here.




Back To Top